Welcome to my Blog!!!

Here I will share exclusive updates about various new projects that DA Designs will be working on and where we will be expanding our brand throughout the world.

Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fabric Shopping!!!

I touched a little bit about my obsession with fabric on my Facebook page, but now I want to go into to more detail about how I go about picking fabric. First of all I have to touch everything!! The hand of the fabric, meaning the touch is very important as I usually go for soft fabrics that feel great on the skin unless I'm specifically looking for a stiffer fabric that probably won't feel so great.

Since my collections are mostly knit, the softer the better! I mostly use modal Knits, Bamboo Knits for dresses and other ready to wear items, and Nylon and or Lycra Spandex for swimwear. I like Bold Colors, and prints that are not ordinary, sometime I take risks with prints because you never know what a customer's reaction will be to the print, or how they will conceive it.

I started to use knits because I liked the fluid movement of the fabric, and how I could translate something that was upscale into a comfortable everyday piece. I've stuck by that concept, even though in the fashion world it is not widely recognized.

When I first started out, I made a lot of evening gowns and couture pieces, but I found that even though I made these pieces and people loved them, I wanted to make something that everyday people could look at and say, " I want to wear that now", and a opposed to saying , "Looks amazing, but where on earth am I going to wear that".

When picking fabrics for a collection, I try to pick colors that speak to me that way my creativity won't be suppressed when making the garments. I usually choose fabric before I sketch and then after sketching (if I sketch at all), then go to draping, from draping to sewing the sample, and then to sample fitting.

It's always a fun process to create new things, which most of the time I don't get to do, since I'm constantly filling orders. The creative process is always my favorite, and I always stay true to myself and my work ethic, even if the end result is not perceived well.

So that's my process of choosing fabric and the end result of it, stay tune next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment